UkrainianPolishRussianEnglish

Muzeum

Print PDF
Welcome to the Museum of Julius Slowatski. The very day of the ceremonial museum’s opening. 20.09.2004  Pero03

Chief designing staff of the exposition“THE TIME OF MEDITATION”

The Content and Conception of the Exposition: Jolanta Pol and Tamara Senina
Exposition: Jolanta Pol
Supervisors: Jolanta Pol and Tamara Senina
Decorative Design: Krzysztof (Christophe) Burnatowich
Exposition Assistant: Peter Prasula
Textile Designing: Tamara Przygonska and Anne Renke-Gasparska

 

FROM THE HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM

The museum of Julius Slowatski ( Juliusz Slowacki in the Polish origin) was organized in Kremenets on July 26, 2002. On September 20, 2004 it was opened with the extended exposition on the international level to com¬memorate the 195-th anniversary of birth and the 155-th anniversary of death of the Poet.

Foundation of the museum commemorating the life and creative work of Julius Slowatski, — the poet and dramatist, romantic, philosopher owes to the coop¬eration of Ukrainian and Polish Ministries of Culture, Associations of Polish and Ukrainian literary authori¬ties, research assistants of Museum of Literature of Adam Mitskewich (Mickiewicz — polish original spelling) in Warsaw, and Kremenets Museum of Local Lore, His¬tory and Economy (folk museum), together with the Community of Polish Culture named after Slowatski in Kremenets. A great contribution in this affair was made by the firm "Energopol-TRADE-Warsaw" from Kiev, which had fulfilled the complete restoration of the Slowatskis' house under the direction of the Ministry of Culture of the Polish Republic and with the assistance and par¬ticipation of the builders from Lublin and Kremenets.

The process of this mu¬seum foundation is the result of the cooperation of the Presi¬dents and the Goverments of both countries — Poland and Ukraine, the representatives of these countries' diplomacy, the firm example of cultural cooper¬ation of both Slavonic peoples, their mutual confidence and respect, which correspond to the Credo of the Poet and his creative work, — the Genius of the world litera¬ture — Julius Slowatski.

 

ANARRATION ABOUT JULIUS SLOWATSKI

The museum is situated in the former mansion of the Slowatskis, where the early childish years of Julius have passed.

He was born in Kremenets on September 4, 1809. Here the future poet used to spend his vacation during his studying in Vilno (Vilnius), where his parents had moved to in 1811 already. Studying at the University, he had gained the higher juridical education. Last time he visited Kremenets just after the graduating from the University, and spent here a couple of months from the summer of 1828 till the February of 1829. In 1830-1831 during his sojourn in Warsaw, Julius Slowatski had participated in the November Uprising, and after its suppression he had to emigrate. He had lived in Dresden, Paris, Geneva, had travelled through Europe and the Middle East, but all the time he had been seeking for his "native land Kremenets". He had extremely missed his native town, and Kremenets had become the symbol of Motherland to the poet.

The Poet had lived less than 40 years. In 1849 the French soil had embraced his remains on the Montmartre Cemetery in Paris. In 1927 his remains were carried over to Wawel Castle in Cracow (Krakow). Julius's sarcophagus is next to Adam Mitskewich's( Mickiewicz – p.o.) one.

The exposition being not exactly biographic, aims to represent the works of Julius Slowatski which reflect the most important events of his life and compile the creative biography of the poet. It is exhibited in 8 halls, and due to interpretation of his literary activity it appeals to determine the creative work and life of the Master of Word on the background of the whole literary epoch, his way of "searching for the universal truth for a human being". Here the Great Citizen of Kremenets has been represented in the might and greatness of his literary heritage, his thoughts' passion and rush, and his contradictory creative biography.

Julius has created more than 25 dramatic issues, 20 poems, and almost 150 lyric verses which have compiled a part of the Gold Fund of World Literature, and brought him fame and world recognition, for such a short period of life.

Словацький біля пірамід. Худ. М. Гашинський
 

JULIUS SLOWATSKI - "THE TIME OF MEDITATION"

HALL NO 1 KREMENETS

The exposition is devoted to the early childish years of Julius Slowatski. (1809-1811). Here you can find the family portraits of his parents, his grandpa and grandma and some things, which could belong to the Slowatskis. Here there is a narration about his father Euzebius Slowatski, the Head of the Ritoric and Poetry Department of Kremenets Lyceum, the professor of the Lyceum, poet, dramatist and translator. There are his works in the exposition. The atmosphere of the room is filled with the materials about Kremenets Lyceum at the beginning of the XlXth century, its initiators and organizers, teachers, who often visited the house.
 

HALL NO 2 VILNO

This is the recollection of the Poet about his childhood that he spent in Vilno, his studying at the gymnasium and Vilno University (1811-1829). Then his father's death and his influence on his son's creative work. His mother's second marriage. Salomea Slowatska's parlour. Julius's acquiantance with Adam Mitskewich. His first poetical works, which prove the traditions of Byronicism in early creative work. His first feelings. His holidays spent in Kremenets. His trip through Ukraine. Graduat¬ing from the University. His farewell to Mother. And his departure to Warsaw.

 

HALL NO 3 WARSAW

Julius Slowatski's appointment as a clerk to the Committee of the Ministry of Finance of Polish Kingdom.. The process of his coming into being the poet-romantic. (1829-1831). His participation into Warsaw uprising of 1930. His first patriotic poems, which have become the favourite songs of the rebels. ("Hymn", "Ode To Freedom", "Kulik", "Kordian"). The emigration to Dresden.

 

HALL NO 4 "LETTERS TO MOTHER"

The narration of Julius Slowatski's let¬ter-writing with his mother full of sorrow and nostalgia. His correspondence from Dresden, London, Paris, Geneva, Vejtu, Na¬ples. Due to Slowatski's letters we have pos¬sibility to trace the poet's course of life, after his leaving the native land. The portraits of mother and son. Salomea Slowatska's em¬broidery. The first two volumes of his po¬etry and Adam Mitskewich's opinion about them, his other works.

 

HALL NO 5 "SILVER DREAM OF SALOMEA"

The biggest hall of the museam is the former parlour of Salomea, that dem¬onstrates the typical interior of the Polish mansion in Ukraine in the first half of the XlXth century. Here one can find Julius original artistic work "A Hazy Dawn Over the Sea", painted in oils in Kremenets after his trip to Odessa.

 

HALL NO 6 "THE TRIP THROUGH UKRAINE AND TO THE EAST"

This is a story about Julius Slowatski's trip through Ukraine (1827-1829), to the Middle East (1836-1838), his correspond¬ence with his mother and, at last, his re¬turn to Paris, when having plunged into the emigration life (1839-1840) again,he was seek to "win" the hearts and minds of his countrymen, and determine the ways of the future revival of his native land.

His painting made in Naples, Florence and other towns and countries. The narra¬tion of his poems "Beniowski" and "The Trip To The East", where he reflected his first impressions of his youthful journey to \ Uman, Zhitomir, Berdichev, Bar, Tulchin.

Verkhivka, Odessa — from Volyn to Podoli-je, while studying at Vilno University. "The Ukrainian Opinion" ("Ukraiсska Dumka") and other works of the same subject matter. There are the portraits of the represantatives of the "Ukrainian school" in Polish poetry.

 

HALL NO 7 "KING-SPIRIT" (PARIS)

The panorama of the most popular park of Paris —Tuillerie, the symbol of the romantic France, attracts the attention of the visitors. Julius Slowatsld's passion for the ideas of the group of Tovianski and their breach. The last period of his creative work (1839-1849). His reconciliation with Adam Mitskewich. The text of "My Testa¬ment". The unfinished historico-philosoph-ical drama "King-Spirit". Julius's death and his burial on Montmartre Cemetery. (April, 1849) His complete fifteen-volumed edition published after his death.

 

HALL NO 8 KREMENETS - "THE TOWN OF GREAT SORROW"

The exposition of the museum is opened and closed by Kremenets. It's the photopanorama of the pre-war and the modern Kremenets, which appreciates and esteems the architectural monuments of the past, takes care of all the places which are closely connected with the Poet's biography, celebrates and commemorates the anniver¬saries and commemorative jubilees of Slo-watski. There are photographs of the poets and writers, the Ukrainian and Polish lit¬erary authorities, who took part in Julius's commemorations in different years in the yard of the Slowatskis' estate. The portraits of Lesya Ukrainka and Ivan Franko, who were the admirers of the talent of the great Polish poet, rather as Taras Shevchenko, whose creative work was akin to Juljus's works, are in the additional part of the ex¬position.

 

THE MEMORABLE PLACES OF SLOWATSKI IN HIS PARENTAL0WN

  1. The family estate of the Slowatskis, where Ju¬lius's early childish years have passed. (1809-1811) — 16, Slowatski Street.
  2. The memorial plaque on the former house of the Janushewskis, where Julius Slowatski was born in 1809, and rosarium. Now it is the territory of the Arts Pedagogical Institute' named after T.G. Shevchenko. 1, Lyceum street.
  3. The Lyceum Roman-Catholic Church (today's Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Transfigura¬tion), where the Slowatskis couple married in 1808, Julius was baptized in 1809, second mar¬riage of poet's mother took place in 1818, and at last the process of sanctifying the soil from his mother's tomb before its transportation to Cra¬cow's Wawel castle, where Julius lies.
  4. Volyn High School, Kremenets Lyceum (now the Arts Pedagogical Institute named after T.G. Shevchenko). Here Julius finished the first form of the Grammar school in 1817-1818, taught his father in 1806-1811, poet's grandfa¬ther Theodore Janushewski worked as the Lyc¬eum landed properties manager.
  5. Salomea Slowatska's tomb. Tunitski Cemetery.
  6. The memorial plaque devoted to the place of the former house, where Julius's mother had lived through her last years.
  7. The monument to J. Slowatski (The author is Watslaw Shimanowski, 1909). The Roman-Catholic Church of Snt. Stanislaw. .
  8. The monument to J.Slowatski. (The author is Vasilij Borodaj, 1969) The territory of the mu¬seum— 16, Slowatski Street.
  9. Julius Slowatski street.
  10. Julius Slowatski side-street.
  11. The Reading — room of the Arts Pedagogical Institute named after T.G. Shevchenko. 1, Lyc¬eum Str.
  12. The Town Library named after J. Slowatski since 1959. 18, Shevchenko Street.
  13. The Community of Polish culture named after Slowatski existing since 1989.
  14. The Rocks named after the Poet since the post¬war times, situated between Osovytsya Hill and Gnile Ozero (The Rot Lake).

 

JULIUS SLOWATSKI -

"THE TIME OF MEDITATION"